Thursday, January 15, 2009

Charlie Chaplin or Harold Lloyd?



















So, as I watched City Lights in film theory class this afternoon I couldn't help but think not only of Chaplin but also of the other king of silent era comedy, Harold Lloyd. Dad introduced me to Lloyd's Safety Last a few years ago and I pushed it aside as just another ridiculous old movie from his extensive collection that includes Lloyd, Chaplin, and many others. Soon after, I saw it in a philosophy of film course and it slowly grew on me. The ability to dominate a camera like Lloyd without the help of sound and the many risks and stunts that he pulled off were truly amazing. As I looked back at my dad's forced screenings of the film, I appreciate his vision. If you've never seen a Harold Lloyd film, go and get Safety Last and enjoy. You may never see an actor take such risks for film again. Oh, and if you have time, rent something by Chaplin like City Lights or Modern Times.

3 comments:

jenny said...

Harold Lloyd, hands down, is my favorite. There are so many people out there who have absolutely no idea who Lloyd is or Laurel & Hardy, or any of the other classic comedic film stars are. Dad really did us a service by sharing these old films with us. I know I'm glad he did! :)

Steve said...

I agree. I was even watching a documentary on cinematography and they had a clip form dad's favorite, Gold Diggers of 1933. These movies provided a great base for future classes I took and the one I'm taking right now as well.

Ben said...

Oh the wisdom of our fathers. I had a similar experience with my dad, only he raised us on what was once considered 'B' grade sci-fi. Films that are now used countless times in film studies class as examples of postmodernism are the ones I was raised on. Blade Runner is of course the most cited example. Hooray for our dads!