Friday, January 1, 2010

Top Albums of 2009

This was a great year in music. New music by some of the best (Animal Collective, Flaming Lips, etc.), the "return?" of hip hop (Raekwon, Mos Def), and the emergence of several excellent new acts (too many to name right now). For a lot of the year I focused on the mixtape, finding new music and artists almost weekly. Artists like Donnis, Wale, Dom Kennedy, and Emilio Rojas. But I'll save that for another post. I still found time to find some amazing new rock, folk, and "indie" music. For now, in no particular order, here is what I loved from this year in albums.

*For another great list of albums of the year click here at my friend Paul's blog. Hopefully he forgives me for copying the format of his entry (videos, no order, etc.)

1. We Were Promised Jetpacks - "Quiet Little Voices" from These Four Walls



2. The Twilight Sad - "I Became a Prostitute" from Forget the Night Ahead



3. The Mountain Goats - "Ezekial 7 and The Efficacy of Grace" from The Life of The World to Come



4. Bowerbirds - "Nothern Lights" from Upper Air



5. Grizzly Bear - "Ready, Able" from Veckatimest (I said there was no order to this list, but if there was, this would without question be the #1. Incredible album, one of the best I've heard in awhile)



6. Mumford and Sons - "Winter Winds" from Sigh No More



7. The xx - "Crystalized" from Self-Titled Album (I told myself not to fall into the trap of the new trendy indie band but failed. This album is just too good.)



8. Alela Diane - "White Diamonds" from To Be Still (*underrated)



9. Sunset Rubdown - "Idiot Heart" from Dragonslayer



10. Barzin - "Nobody Told Me" from Notes to an Absent Lover



Honorable Mention: TBA in a different post

2 comments:

Ben said...

I only know about any new music because of you and Paul and then I take the credit when people find out I listen to "really cool music." Thanks for making me look good...no really, I'm glad you post this stuff because I've been able to hear some great music thanks to you. Happy new year to you, Beckie and Henry!

bfbffgh said...

Sweet list.