Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Eelus


A couple of months ago I put up a post about some up and coming street artists. One of them was Eelus. Recently, I've gone back to his work and have been inspired by his unique style. His use of dark grays, browns, and blacks with bright yellows, reds, and greens providing a sharp contrast to compliment his themes. Thematically, he classifies his own work as a mixture of horror, science fiction, and fantasy. Some of his works easily belong to that classification while others subtly share topics found within these genres. Beauty in contrast, inspiration through difference, these are the works of Eelus.

Below, is a video of him at his first London show explaning his work, along with some of his originals. For more of his work check out his site here.









4 comments:

beckie said...

I love that first one.

bfbffgh said...

Today, when I walked by the OPI sign-ups, I could tell which pseudonym was yours!

Mac said...

fa! cool stuff. We're going to have to talk some day about street art. I'm really interested in the phenomenology behind it and the parallels that may or may not exist between street art and urban landscape.
Oh yeah, did you see Messi? 4-1 Arsenal! Es una bestia.

Steve said...

Mac - I don't really know much about the phenomenology of street art. The thing that interests me most is the idea that art, in my opinion, is subjective and everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy it. When we classify it, put it in museums, or put prices on it, then it losses that. The street artist understands that.