Friday, February 11, 2011

What I'm Loving This Week (Week ending February 19, 2011)

1. Estrella Distante - I read my first Bolaño novel this week. I’ve been meaning to read something of his for some time now, and although 2666 was at the top of my list, I didn’t have time for such a monstrous novel.

2. Criterion Re-releases - Criterion announced the re-releases of both Solaris (Tarkovsky) and Diabolique (Clouzet). The latter being one of my favorite thrillers.


3. Hip Hop on Fallon - This was the week of Hip Hop on the Jimmy Fallon show. He brought in underground rappers Tyler, the creator and Hodgy Beats (Odd Future), who delivered with a crazy, punk-like performance, and followed them with Raekwon and Ghostface. Having the Roots as your in-house band certainly helps.




4. "Circo" Trailer - Just saw this today. A documentary about a traveling Mexican circus. What's not to love?

1 comment:

bfbffgh said...

I liked Estrella distante, also my first Bolaño experience, and was grateful for its brevity. I've had an advance copy of 2666 in English for the longest time, but it's huge and I'm not sure I want to read it in translation...

This reminds me that Solaris and Diabolique have been in my Netflix queue for a couple of years now!I guess I need to stop slacking...