Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Crazy Weekend


This past weekend was quite an adventure. I've been to Atlanta and back twice, presented a paper at the SAMLA conference and had some time left over to spend with the family and watch some movies.

1. SAMLA Conference: A professor here at UGA organized a panel entitled "Digital Poetry and Poetics:  Definitions and Explorations". Being that I was in his class last fall that dealt with the topic, he asked me to present. Me, along with three colleagues presented on such things as technopoetry, machine poetry and flash poetry. We were happy that about six people showed up to listen. I was less nervous than expected and the panel was a success.

2. My Laptop: After driving home from Atlanta along with the family (1 1/2 hour ride each way) I realized that I had forgotten my laptop at the hotel. I was forced to drive back the next morning to pick it up.

3. Vision Video: One thing I really enjoy about Athens is that here the independent video store still exists. Hollywood video and Blockbuster are long gone but Vision Video, a local favorite is still going strong. True, most things are now available either through Netflix or your local public library but the experience of a traditional video store is something I really enjoy. What makes this store especially good is that you can tell they put a lot of care in choosing their inventory. Their selection of foreign films and documentaries is top-notch and their "director spotlight" highlights 'auteur' cinema. And of course, like all traditional video stores they have their employee picks. The prices are pretty good as well. Here's what we picked up last week: Emma (BBC), Community (Season 1 Disc 3), Que he hecho yo para merecer esto? (Almodovar - for class), The Sleep Dealer (Alex Rivera)


1 comment:

Ben said...

I used to work at a video rental store called "Movies'N'You". Cheesy, yes, but it was fun. One of my fondest video store moments was with my own local store when, after graduating high school, I felt it was time to watch the entire Planet of the Apes series. My sister and I walked over and rented one each day for a week (VHS of course!). I like being able to pick up the video and flip it over to read the back of the case. I also miss going into video stores and seeing all those videos lined up next to each other. Maybe the best part of it all is the odd and idiosyncratic way in which each store was decorated. Good times.