Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Two Escobars

I've been really thinking a lot about the documentary in Latin America recently. At the moment I'm researching the documentaries of Patricio Guzman for my border cinema course (La battala de Chile; Salvador Allende; Nostalgia de la luz). As far as documentaries go, The Two Escobars is exceptional. It tells the story about the relationship between the Colombian drug lords of the 80's and Colombian soccer; or Narco-soccer as it was called. It masterfully seems together Colombian politics, soccer, and history of crime into one grand narrative. It's really well made. A couple of things that I really enjoyed were the interviews with those involved (family of both Pablo and Andres Escobar; the politicians, the encarcerated) and the footage of Pablo Escobar (it was fascinating to see so much footage of the drug king pin). I've included a trailer below, but her's a link to the full video if you have the time.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKAevl6hrQk


5 comments:

Mac said...

Oh man, I watched this documentary last year and it totally fascinated me. When it referenced the '94 World Cup and the incident with the Colombian soccer player who was shot I felt so ashamed of myself because I remember joking about that at the time it happened. Of course, I had not idea of anything except that a soccer player was killed because he helped the US beat Colombia.
Anyway, I'm a little smarter now.
Cool documentary and there are quite a few documentaries about ecology and art that I am referencing in my dissertation and that I want to work with later on (that is, if I ever am employed somewhere that allows me the time and means to do so)

shaunie said...

I've seen this several times on ESPN. It really is a fascinating documentary, one of the best I've seen from the network. If I'm channel surfing and it is on, I always stop to watch it.

P.S. I ordered Nostalgia de la luz from ILL. I can't wait to see it.

bfbffgh said...

I'm currently reading El ruido de las cosas al caer, by Juan Gabriel Vasquez. It begins with the death of a hippo that escaped from Escobar's zoo, and so far it's dealt with a lot of the violence and paranoia of the time period. I'm not too far into it, but so far, so good.

Ben said...

In case you haven't figured it out. Shaunie's comment was actually me, her husband. You know me as The Benjamin.

Steve said...

Ben - yes, i realized it was you although Shaunie is welcome to comment on my blog anytime. You might also like one of the other 30 for 30 documentaries called "Four Days in October" that documents the Red Sox come-from-behind win against Yankees in the 2004 ALCS.