


Last Saturday Beckie and I went to the Broadway Theater in Salt Lake and saw the documentary Manufactured Landscapes. This documentary is based on the photography of edward burtynsky. His photos are aimed at showing the effects of industry and globalization on nature and the environment. He stated his purpose in photographing these things. He wants the viewer to see the photographs and decide for oneself what is important. The documentary was very well balanced with an absence of any politics. The politics come from the viewer and their thoughts and beliefs. There is problem many of us face. We care about the environment but we are not willing to give up the luxuries we enjoy. We have to find a way to solve this problem according to our beliefs and values. I recommend the photography of edward burtynsky and this documentary. If you have the opportunity, go see it.
5 comments:
Sorry Steve.. any "documentary" about the effects of globalization and the environment is going to have a political bent to it.
The documentary was more about his photography than those things. They were naturally shown through his photographs. There was little dialogue in the movie. You have to see it yourself before dismissing it completely. Trust me, this isn't comparable to The 11th Hour or An Inconvenient Truth.
I agree with Steve, I am particularly aware of political undertones and the movie lacked those. It was more of an artistic look at industry.
True.. I haven't seen the movie but after just watching the trailer, googling the photographer and the director. I still say there has to be some bent for the photographer/director to even choose the subject. I have to say the trailer was kind of disturbing.. so are you going to stop shopping at Wal-Mart:)?
You know I love you:)
The reason I didn't shop at wal mart wasn't because of chinese products but more because of their business tactics and inferior products. Unfortunately, it's all the same nowadays anyway. Everything is made in China.
Post a Comment