Saturday, June 7, 2008

Lacking Motivation


When summer comes around every year, many have come up with their annual "Summer reading lists". I've never really done this but this summer I have no choice because, well, it was given to me. As part of the M.A. in Spanish Literature at BYU, all students must take a literary theory course their first semester which is the basis for all of their future schooling and preparation for writing and analysis. I received a nice long email from the instructor that included the syllabus, reading list, introduction, and warning. I've heard that this class is very difficult and requires some intense reading assignments that in many cases, include philosophical texts. So, to help with the course studies we, the students, are required to read 3 books this summer before class starts in the Fall. These include two novels The Lost Steps by Alejo Carpentier, All the Names by Jose Saramago, and an introduction to literary theory. I'm excited for school to start but am struggling to find motivation to read them. I'm not really worried about finishing them but just hope that I don't save it for the last couple weeks before school starts.

No comments: