Saturday, June 20, 2009

c215






5 comments:

Ben said...

I like the second to last one. Street art is pretty cool. I've enjoyed the posts you've done on the topic.

Mac said...

What do you think of this: http://vimeo.com/5148749
?

Steve said...

Mac, thanks for the vid. I have a love/hate relationship with Shepard Fairy. There are some his works that are really quite amazing but at the same time, he's kind of a shown that he appropriates other kinds of art while at the same time going against those who do the same to his work. To me, street art isn't about copyrights, money, or fame. It's about the ability to create art freely without somebody telling you if your work is good or not. Art belongs to the masses and not the few that can afford it. Check out these two sites.

http://www.art-for-a-change.com/Obey/index.htm

http://www.ni9e.com/

Steve said...

Mac, here's another site to check out.

http://animalnewyork.com/2008/04/shepard-fairey-threatens-to-sue-artist-for-obey-giant-parody/

Mac said...

I had heard about the hoo ha of the AP photo but I had NO idea of the depth of his plagiarism. I will say that I can see how he could be intentionally plagiarizing on the 'Greetings from Iraq' poster because of its parody of the pleasure we get from 'entertaining' explosions in Nature juxtaposed with the man-made artificial explosions. There is also the the question of what plagiarism is in the first place.
There is a good book by the Argentine author Alberto Laiseca by the name of 'Por favor !plagienme!' that I haven't read but that I've heard has some interesting things to say about the subject.