Saturday, August 21, 2010

First Week at UGA

It's been difficult trying to write a blog post after a three month absence. I lost the habit. This week is better than any other to start over. I finished my first week as a doctoral candidate in Latin American Literature at UGA. Being in a new place, at a new school, and among new friends pushes me to write.

This week went well. I teach two classes three times a week and then take three graduate seminars each once a week. These include a teaching methodology course, Latin American Modernism, and Latin American cyberpoetry. The latter is the one I am most excited about for the fact that it seems to be sort of a continuation on Dr. Andrew Brown's Cyborgs and Latin America mini-course at BYU. Below are a couple of texts we read excerpts from for the first day of class. Interesting stuff. Not only are we going to learn about cyberculture and poetry but we will be given the opportunity to put it into action as we write our research paper and convert it into a hyper-paper either as a website, blog, or other form. Also, we will need to create an original work of cyberpoetry.

So, school is good. Athens is a fun town. The south is great. Everybody is so nice. We felt welcome since the first day we came. It goes without saying that it is very different from Utah but that's a good thing. At first I thought I would miss it a lot but now I think I will really like this place.


3 comments:

Ben said...

Sounds like a really cool class! If there's one thing that's really lacking here at UCI it's invigorating classes. Thanks for posting, I'm glad you guys like it there.

Steve said...

I think it has a lot to do with the professor teaching it. Luis Correa-Diaz has taught a lot of interesting courses some similar to this one. Others include ecocriticism, cosmological poetry, human rights, revolutionary poetry,etc.


http://correa.myweb.uga.edu/courses.html

Mac said...

you teach two classes three times a week and take two graduate seminars with a methodology class on top?! Holy nuezes!