Up until this year, criterion's selection of film noir has been scant. The film noir I refer to here is the traditional Hollywood kind; born and bred in the US of A . With the exception of Siodmak's The Killers and a few titles from Samuel Fuller and Jules Dassin the collection is mostly made up Japanese and French noir along with some selections of neonoir. Don't get me wrong, I love Melville's noir style and Godard is a genius, but, I would love to see more Hollywood noir.
It looks like they've gotten my mental memo and have announced some great noir releases for later this year. These include: Stanley Kubrick's The Killing, Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly, and the already released Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick).
Here are ten more noir greats that I would love to see on Criterion.
1. Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder)
2. Asphalt Jungle (John Huston)
3. Detour (Edgar G. Ulmer)
4. Out of the Past (Jacques Tourneur)
5. The Big Sleep (Howard Hawks)
6. The Maltese Falcon (John Huston)
7. Touch of Evil (Orson Welles)
8. Laura (Otto Preminger)
9. The Postman Always Rings Twice (Tay Garnett)
10. Dark Passage (Delmer Daves)



1 comment:
Remember when they had a guys night to watch The Killers and you were all pumped and then you found out it was the Ashton Kutcher film. Hahaha. See I comment on your blog.
Post a Comment