Saturday, May 14, 2011

Charleston

Spring semester ended last Monday when I submitted my grades and turned in my last two papers. No more school for the rest of the summer, right? Well, not exactly. I accepted a teaching offer for summer term and in order to take it I needed to be registered for two courses. We thought it was good opportunity and decided it was the best thing to do. I'll be taking a class about "La literatura fantastica" during "maymester" (a short 3-week term with 3 hour, daily classes). I'll then take another ecocriticism course, this one focusing on natural disasters, starting in June.

Before maymester, Beckie was nice enough to plan a small getaway to Charleston, SC for the three of us. We had a great time. Charleston is beautiful city, full of gorgeous antebellum architecture. We walked around the city, enjoying the homes and streets and it was clear that a long, important history had embedded itself into every block. Originally, we planned on visiting Fort Sumpter but decided that the aquarium was more child-friendly. The decision worked for the best as our little guy had a great time.

We ended our trip with a short detour to the Angel Oak, the oldest tree east of the Missippi. The little one loved the ground covered in leaves.





No comments: