Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Adriana Lestido


I'm not an expert on photography, but I do know what I like. At times I believe that I am a good judge of what is good and what isn't. But, of course art is subjective and tastes differ. Adriana Lestido is an Argentine photographer who I really enjoy. In my class on Gender and Violence in Southern Cone Literature we spent this last week focusing on the relationship between mother and daughter. Two of Lestido's collections were especially pertinent to this discussion: Madres e hijas and Mujeres presas. Here are a few of my favorite pictures.


3 comments:

Mac said...

documentary photography is probably what moves people the most (e.g. Dorthy Lang, Robert Frank). Just off the top of my head and without verifying if I am repeating something that I studied in my visual culture class, I would say that it is because it has the power of literature. It tells a story or at least suggests one. Of course, the best doc photos are those that combine both subject matter and design. The pics you chose demonstrate this combination masterfully. I think I have heard of Lestido before. I wonder what a study of her incarcerated women project compared with the fairly recent argy film 'Leonera' would produce.

Steve said...

It's interesting you mentioned "Leonera" because we actually did watch the film the same week we talked about the photos. They compliment each other very well.

Melinda said...

I love the emotion and mood (conveyed through the tone) in these. Thanks for sharing!