Friday, March 21, 2008

Argentine sues 'Dirty War' couple


I ran across this article today and it made me think again about this terrible period in Argentine history. The 'Dirty War' in Argentina was a time in which those who opposed the government were routinely kidnapped, tortured, and murdered by the state. Many just 'dissapeared' and have still not been found. Read about it here and here. I get chocked up, upset, and scared every time I read about the period and the histories of those involved. One of the more better-known consequences of this period was the literal stealing of children from parents. These children were given to military related families. There is a great movie about this called La Historia Oficial (The Official Story).

Well, the article I read this morning is about a woman who found out she was one of these stolen children and her suit against her adoptive parents. Read it here.

Read about Human Rights and South America here.

2 comments:

Hernan+ said...

There is a movie called Pencil's night. (La noche de los Lapices) It tells the story about high school kids who were kidnapped by the military... very sad.

Steve said...

Thanks for info. I'll see if I can find it.