
I read this article this week about the upcoming
Be Your Own Pet album
Get Awkward on
Pitchfork and it just reminded me why major record labels are full of it sometimes. Three songs off the new album from this garage/punk foursome have been axed for the U.S. release by Universal. The same label that puts out the violent and sexual-filled music of Eminem, Akon, and Marilyn Manson has censored this album for references to knives. It just seems really odd and quite hypocritical. Maybe it's because the singer of the band is a seemingly innocent young girl and the relationship between youth and violence is one they don't want to convey. I'm not sure I buy it. If the band isn't the biggest moneymaker for the label, then it is easier to censor them. Why can't the consumer just listen to what they want without worrying if what they are listening has been censored or catered any way to what the label believes is correct. I've heard the new album and would recommend it to anyone who just wants to listen to some loud, angst-filled music that has a killer woman vocalist at the head.
No comments:
Post a Comment