Thursday, March 5, 2009

Zizek or Zizek?



While browsing upcoming concerts in the SLC area, I came across Zizek in the list for one of our favorite venues, Kilby Court. Would Zizek really be lecturing at a small concert venue in Salt Lake city? I obviously had my doubts. But, who was this Zizek that would be playing next month at Kilby? After some research I found that this Zizek was not the theorist but instead, a group of DJ's from Buenos Aires that named themselves after the Slovenian theorist. They apparently do mash-ups of cumbia and electronica. Check out their website here. It's pretty psychedelic. Also, here's an article that explains who they are a little more clearly.

The question then becomes, what theorist or philosopher would you name your imaginary band after? The Heideggers? The Derridians?


4 comments:

Pablo said...

How about a rapper called D-Loose or something? Or another Argentine group could be the Ni-Ches... I figure you get bonus points for misspelling the name, right?

Ben said...

Hmmmm...I think I would have to go with a philosophical concept. For example, the Cones of Memory or the Always Already. Bu that runs the risk of getting nerdy. Take for example a band called Reader Response, or Horizon of Expectation. If you wanted to sound really cool you'd have to use a German word and play at the club Schprockets. I would name my group Gestalt and play only late 90's deep house revival.

The Bar Series?

beckie said...

I think I would have to go with stage name Blooming Harold. Or Homey Bhahba.

And yes I actualyl recalled those from my college days.

Ben said...

I really like the ones Becky mentioned. Paul's D-Loose is cool too. I'm not that creative.