This weekend was tiring. I traveled up to Salt Lake not once, but twice to pick up a friend on Saturday and then to visit some family on Sunday. Whenever I go to SLC there are a couple of places I like to go, among them is Sam Weller's bookstore. Truthfully, I have a love-hate relationship with the store. I love the atmosphere and their collection but at the same time, they have a deceivingly small amount of used books. It's hit and miss whenever I go there. On Friday I was very lucky and found a copy of Octavio Paz's biography on Sor Juana for a good price but the last few times I've gone I've come back empty.Yesterday, while in Salt Lake visiting some family, we made a discovery. Beckie wanted to go to a couple of vintage furniture stores while I decided to check out a bookstore I had never been to before, Ken Sanders Rare Books near 300 S. and 200 E. For some reason, I had passed this place several times but had never gone in. Maybe it was the fact that it had "rare" in the title and I wasn't looking for hard-to-find first editions. So, after entering the building and checking it out for awhile, I was pleasantly surprised. They not only have have a great selection of rare books and first editions, but their used book collection is the best I've seen since visiting the Strand in NYC. Although their Spanish-language selection wasn't great, their philosophy, literature, history, and Hispanic literature (in english) sections were excellent. I picked up a like new copy of Pablo Neruda's memoirs for cheap.
P.S. Ken Sanders is holding their annual July sale on everything in the store. I'm really itching to get back up there soon (during the sale). If anybody would like to come let me know and we could make a short road-trip.
2 comments:
I was disappointed when I went to Sam Weller. They didn't have any Neruda (new or used) and I thought their used stuff was a bit spendy. I'll have to go to this other place.
Sorry I held out on you so long with this one but I really could have sworn we went there together before.
Post a Comment