Monday, May 11, 2009

Just because

So, It's been about a month since my last post. I'm out of school (well, kind of), back from Peru, and don't really have anything going on at the moment. So, here is my feeble attempt at translating what I'm doing at the moment into blog form.

I'm reading:

mixed with this:
During the semester I took a seminar with Carol Klee from the University of Minnesota on Latin-American contact languages. Yes, the semester is over, but I still have one more paper to write. Although still a work in progress, I'm writing on the linguistic influence of African language as portrayed through history, literature, and of course, linguistics on Rio de la Plata. In actuality it's supposed to be a linguistic-focused project but I've been given permission to mix linguistics, history and literature into the paper. A kind of smorgasbord of many things relating to the forgotten afro-rioplatense influence within all of these contexts. This book is giving me a better understanding of what possible influence African roots have in Latin-American language.

and this:
Despite what you think of Galeano and his political views, his writing is entertaining. I recommend also, Soccer in Sun and Shadow.

I'm listening to these:
Recently discovered these mix-tapes on the blog www.pigeonsandplanes.com.

Wiz Khalifa
Kid Cudi
Frank Ramz

And watching:
I'm a closet UFC fan and this is their reality show. This season it's the United States vs. the United Kingdom. Each side is coached by current fighters Dan Henderson (USA) and Michael Bisping (UK, and former winner of the show). So far, the UK is on top but it is still early.

Well, that's about it for now. Hopefully, my life will get a little more exciting in the coming weeks. For now I'll try to make the blog more active and interesting. I still haven't posted on Peru but am planning on doing so soon. I put a bunch of pictures on facebook and Beckie has quite a bit as well on her blog bexcaliber.blogspot.com .

2 comments:

Pablo said...

Galeano! Gasp! I heard he doesn't share the average viewpoint of the average American, or something like that...

Steve said...

Something like that. He also doesn't share the average view of the average grad student. For example, that Borges was a racist.